Monday, January 22, 2007

It's a New Dawn, It's a New Day and I'm feeling Hood...

Hello dear friends or 'bitches', if you prefer? This is the one and only Brummie Stylez stepping up to the plate to add a new regional voice to the beautiful, yet slightly London-centric, dream-destroyer that is Ruffhousing...

Now as this is my first post I feel it would be ill-advised to immediately front on my boy Trouble but...

Although the post below a truly beautiful piece, I feel I must comment upon it as it appears to mislead somewhat. Yes, More Fish is a good album, but it flows like a bit of an afterthought, a glorified mix-tape if you will (which to all intents and purposes it is, it just hasn’t been marketed as one). Monsieur Stark's previous album Fishscale is superior both lyrically and musically (Just Blaze, MF Doom, J-Dilla etc provide some certified bangers, and Ghost himself pens better tunes and concepts), but also as a cohesive album. I don't wanna waffle on too much about why Fishscale a fucking dope album because I shouldn't really have to, you should own it already...

I do however wanna make a couple of further statements...

- Although Shaun Wigs is pretty fly - for a white guy (sorry, I won't be that gay again - I promise) - his feature track with that total cretin Eamon is utter GASH and somebody should burn the fucker’s toupee collection for it.

- Pokerface is also a bit of a lame cash-in on the subject matters current popularity and I for one expect more the Theodore Unit boys. Dissing over…


Right, having said all this though and appeared to diss the album it is worth a purchase, mainly for the excellent tracks that my colleague has picked out. You should however hand over your hard earned (or easily earned if you have a piss take job) cash to your favourite record emporium for Fishscale and the Theodore Unit album 718 first. Actually, I tell you what get Bulletproof Wallets First too cus 'Theodore', 'Maxine', 'The Forest' and 'Walking through the Darkness' are all hot as fuck...

Oh and to cap off what has been a truly enjoyable first post, I will leave you with another recommendation... If you thought Moorish Delta 7, Yogi, Rukus and the 1's Def and Shade were the only hip hop heroes in the Second City, then check some Brum boys from around my way - TLG (The Lost Generation):

http://www.myspace.com/thelostgen

And one of their sick beatsmiths, Eyebs:

http://www.myspace.com/eyebsbeats


So that's it from me...for now

STYLEZ OUT

No comments: